Wednesday, February 3, 2016

Lake Eola: Part II



DSCN4466
Continuing around Lake Eola we find a little pier that on this day, totally belonged to the pigeons. It must be mating season for these pigeons as they were putting on quite a courting display for passerbys.
DSCN4476
Swans were all up along the shore as we slowly made our way around the park. At first I thought this swan with the raised foot had a injured foot. But then Mr. Fix-it and I noticed several swans had a foot raised up.
DSCN4477
We have no idea why the swans were like this but don't think they were injured.
DSCN4480

DSCN4483

DSCN4496
Off to the side there was a memorial to fallen soldiers. It's almost a rule that all public parks must have memorials to soldiers. At least it seems that way because so many have them. 

While in this area we saw quite a few homeless folks. Because it was Christmas Day they all had large plates of food to eat and were sharing with one another where to go to get the plates of food. A couple folks told us Merry Christmas and one managed to ask for money while we were leaving. I have no problem with homeless folks, but I do not appreciate  outright begging.  
DSCN4501

DSCN4509
I am pretty sure this majestic bird is an anihinga, or snake bird. My daughter pointed several out to me while we were out and about. These birds are predators in the water. They stalk their food and spear them with their long sharp beak.
DSCN4513
Swans eat a lot of food. We did not feed any swans on this date but I thought it good the park placed informational signs out for visitors to remind us all that feeding wildlife it not really a good idea; even if they are on special diets.
DSCN4515
The gardener in me immediately caught a couple of camellias in full bloom. This red one is trained into an umbrella like tree. There were several different colors of camellias in this apartment complex's garden (the garden did not appear to be part of Lake Eola but skirted the park. I was thrilled to learn a bit about tropical gardens simply by observing the fauna in all of the landscaped areas in Orlando. I realized I don't know much about tropical gardens at all. 

There is one more post about Lake Eola.....

in the garden....

Words and Photos Property of In the Garden Blog Team, In the Garden

4 comments:

  1. What wonderful animals and scenery indeed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That camellia looks good trained like this. Someone must really like topiary.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for sharing. What amazing art in those gardens in addition to the plants and animals.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Every time we go to Florida, I spot new Tropical plants that I know nothing about. I will more then likely learn only if I move there some day. Otherwise, If they will not grow in my GA garden, why burden my brain with them. LOL, I enjoy seeing them and trying to learn about them though...

    ReplyDelete

ALL SPAM WILL BE PROMPTLY FRIED. PLEASE DO NOT LIFT PHOTOS OR WORDS. THANKS!