Tuesday, May 12, 2015

Riverbanks Zoo & Botanic Gardens

BY SKEETER
 No, not a new critter in my GEORGIA GARDENS but an adorable Kola Bear instead. The Saint and I took a day to enjoy one of our favorite day getaways. The nearby "Riverbanks Zoo and Gardens" over the Savannah River in Columbia, SC. Tina once accompanied us to this wonderful place. Click Here to see that winter posting.
 Tina talked last week about her Baptisias and after seeing her photos, (Click Here to see) I do believe this to be Baptisias as well. What do you think Tina? These were standing tall and proud.
 I love curvy brick walkways. Wish I could afford to turn all my pathways in my gardens into brick.
 We have had such beautiful weather this spring that most of the rose bushes in the Rose Garden were already finished with their first blooming cycle. But this bush was giving us a real show with Viola's below.
This is one of my favorite views of the garden. I just love water in a garden.
 I looked high and low for tags but could not positively ID this plant. I believe it to be Larkspur.  
 It along with Globe Allium were the blooming beauties during this visit. I do not recall us ever being at the garden in May.
 I enjoy going to the same gardens during different times of the year. They seem so new with different things blooming. I have yet to visit during the heat of summer. Not sure I would enjoy that as I do not like the humidity of summer. Maybe one day I will endure the heat to check out the summer gardens.
 I could not get enough of these two bloomers together! They surrounded the entire garden and I loved the purples together. This garden is in the process of massive upgrades along with the Zoo! Not sure where the funding is coming from but so happy to see it thriving when so many times nature and animals are put on the bottom of the list due to funding.
The reason this is one of my favorite places is Animals and Gardens! My two favorite things together!
We are excited about the expansions and plan to get back to the RIVERBANKS ZOO & BOTANICAL GARDENS, In the Garden...

Words and Photos Property of In the Garden Blog Team, In the Garden

3 comments:

  1. What a fun place to visit. I had so much fun with you guys when I visited a few years ago. Definitely baptisia. I think you must be hooked now! Everyone needs some baptisias in their gardens. Just love that perennial. I don't know what cultivar that one is but it looks to be a hybrid of some sort. The colors they are coming out with are really different but blues I think is the most common species. The larkspur and alliums are a perfect combination. Larkspur should grow in your garden no problem. It self seeds pretty good each year but I've yet to get it started in mine tho I'm working on it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is fantastic. There is a place near where I live that calls itself Zoo and Bot Garden. It doesn't do much in the garden way. The animals are well cared for tho. It looks like you had a fun day.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have yet to make it over to the St. Louis Zoo or the Missouri Botanical Gardens this year. They are high on my list of places to go and things to see. It's great that you got to visit two of your favorite places at once.

    ReplyDelete

ALL SPAM WILL BE PROMPTLY FRIED. PLEASE DO NOT LIFT PHOTOS OR WORDS. THANKS!